Who is Eligible for a T Visa?
There are certain criteria that must be met in order to be eligible for a T visa. They include the following:
- The applicant must be a survivor of severe human trafficking or attempted human trafficking of either the sex or labor variety
- The applicant is physically inside the US or at a port of entry due to the trafficking and must have remained in the country during the most recent instance of trafficking
- The applicant has complied with reasonable requests for assistance in investigating or prosecuting the traffickers and are 18 or older
- The applicant is at risk of suffering extreme hardship if they are removed from the US
Advantages of T Visas Over Other Immigration Relief
TA T visa lawyer Pasadena based would explain to a client that there are certain advantages a T visa provides versus other types of immigration relief. They include the following:
- Not having to relive an experience with law enforcement. If the victim is under 18, T visas do not require them to do so. There is a cooperation exception for survivors who have suffered physical or psychological trauma as well.
- A T visa can be granted without certification from law enforcement. An applicant can give evidence and documentation of cooperation if law enforcement refuses a request for certification. Those under 18 don’t need to submit certification to apply for the visa.
- T visas are more readily available than other types of immigration relief.
- T visas have generous waivers, which allows even applicants with prior criminal or immigration violations to obtain one if those violations were directly caused by trafficking.
- Individuals who obtain T visas can receive the same federal benefits as refugees while U visa holders are not.
How to Apply for a T Visa
Applying for a T visa is fairly straightforward. However, if you are a survivor who wishes to apply, you should have a Pasadena T visa attorney working to help you to ensure that the process goes smoothly. Your immigration lawyer Pasadena based can help you with any questions or concerns. Unlike the U visa, an applicant must already be in the US, which means there is no need to go through an Embassy. Speak with the best immigration lawyer Pasadena has to get any additional information.
The following must be submitted when applying for a T visa:
- Completed Form I-914, Applicant for T Non-Immigrant Status
- Completed Form 1-914, Supplement B, Declaration of Law Enforcement Officer for Victim of Trafficking in Persons, which is a certification stating the applicant has been proven by law enforcement to be a victim of trafficking
- Three passport-sized photos that meet US Visa Photograph Requirements
- Additional evidence to prove the applicant meets the eligibility requirements
Are There Application Fees for the T Visa?
The top immigrant visa lawyer Pasadena has can guide applicants every step of the way. There is no fee for submitting an application, but as an immigration visas attorney will tell you, there is a small fee for filing the forms. However, filing Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, can allow an applicant to bypass it.
Length of Time to Get a T Visa
Speaking with an immigration visas lawyer, you would learn that the length of time it takes to obtain your T visa varies. There is no set time between applying and processing as it varies depending on the person and the evidence in their case.
If you are a survivor of human trafficking looking for help, you need the best T visa lawyer Pasadena has to offer on your side. Your Pasadena T visa attorney can help you to prepare all the necessary documentation for your case. Contact an immigration lawyer Pasadena based immediately to begin your T visa application.