How to Apply for U-Visa

How to Apply for U-Visa

When applying for a U visa, it requires multiple steps. It is a complex process that includes filling out a government form, dealing with several documents, and interacting with law enforcement agencies who must confirm that you are a victim who is helping them with their investigation or prosecution of a particular crime. Once you have determined that you are eligible for a U visa or U status in the U.S., you must take the following steps in filling out and submitting

the necessary documents:

  • Prepare the USCIS Form-I-918, which is the Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status.
  • Obtain certification of helpfulness from a qualifying agency for the I-918 petition.
  • Gather evidence that confirms your claims of injury, which will determine your eligibility.

If you have subordinate family members who wish to work in the U.S., then they will need to prepare Form I-765 for a work permit, which has a fee.
Submit your petition and documents to the USCIS.
Attend an interview at the USCIS office or the local U.S. consulate.

Below, you will learn about each step in-depth.

Preparing the USCIS Form I-918

You will need to download Form I-918, which is on the USCIS website and follow the detailed instructions.

Obtaining Certification of Helpfulness from a Qualifying Agency

For this particular process, you will need a qualified agency, such as a judge, police officer, prosecutor, or another law enforcement official to complete a “certification of helpfulness” form. This is a supplement to your I-918 Form.

Gathering Evidence to Confirm Your Claims of Injury

In addition to the previous steps, you will need to make sure that you gather evidence that will prove your claim of injury in order to obtain a U visa or U status. The following documents will be needed in order for you to support your claim:

A statement describing how you are a victim of crime and all of the conditions about the crime.

Evidence proving that you are a victim of crime, which includes the following:

  • Trial transcripts
  • News articles
  • Police reports
  • Witness statements
  • Restraining orders

Evidence that proves you suffered physical or mental abuse, such as:

  • Medical records
  • Statements from social workers, medical professionals, and law enforcement
  • Photographs of injuries
  • Statements from those who have witnessed the criminal activities

We understand that the process can be extremely complicated, which is why we strongly advise you to get in contact with an immigrant visa lawyer Los Angeles. Our team at Alami Law has an abundance of experience in helping those obtain their U visa or U status. We will work diligently to make sure that the evidence will suffice.

Additionally, you will still need to make an effort in considering the best sources of evidence to prove your claims, such as friends, family, doctors, and other people who would be of help.

Preparing Form I-765 for Family Members

For family members who wish to work in the U.S., they must submit a Form I-765 to the USCIS, along with the fee. This document can be sent with the I-918 petition or the family members can wait to apply for their work permit once the I-918 petition has been approved.

Submitting Your Petition and Documents to the USCIS

Once you have completed the application, you should make copies to keep for yourself. After you have made a copy for yourself, send the forms to the USCIS address, which is listed on the I-918 page within the website.

Attending Your Interview

It is possible that you may have to attend an interview, which is in-person, at the USCIS office, U.S. embassy, or consulate of the country in which you are from. This will depend on whether you or your family members are applying from overseas.

This interview is important, as it will give U.S. officials an opportunity to review your files and talk to you directly about the circumstances and eligibility of the U visa.

If everything goes well, then you will be approved. However, if you are denied, then it is possible that you will be placed into removal proceedings and will have to attend immigration court.

Speaking to a Qualified Immigration Visas Attorney

Whatever the case may be, it is imperative that you get in contact with an immigration visas lawyer. By doing so, we will be able to advise you and guide you in the direction that you need to be in. We understand how these cases work, and it is a very complex process that you will need legal help with.

If you or a loved one is a victim of a crime and is trying to obtain a U visa or U status, get in contact with a trusted immigration lawyer Pasadena from Alami Law.

Related Blog

  • How Soon Can You Switch Jobs After Receiving A Green Card

    How Soon Can You Switch Jobs After Receiving A Green Card

    A significant number of immigrants receive sponsorships for a green card after receiving a job opportunity from a company based in the US. Such a green card is processed through their employer. This is a smart move, especially to a person whose wish has always been working in the US. But what happens after receiving … Continue reading "How Soon Can You Switch Jobs After Receiving A Green Card"Read More »
  • Trump’s COVID-19 Visa Bans May Alter the Face of American Immigration Beyond the Pandemic

    Trump’s COVID-19 Visa Bans May Alter the Face of American Immigration Beyond the Pandemic

    Legal immigration help in Los Angeles has never been simpler. With Alami Law, you too can enjoy the freedoms that come from properly completing the immigration process. The COVID-19 epidemic has altered how people work. According to the Pew Research Center , COVID-19 has changed our social behaviors and limited public religious activity. You might … Continue reading "Trump’s COVID-19 Visa Bans May Alter the Face of American Immigration Beyond the Pandemic"Read More »