How Do You Know When You Are in an Abusive Relationship?

VAWA Green Card for Abused Men

Are you a person who has suffered severe abuse from a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States? If you are still without a visa, you may be able to apply for a confidential VAWA card.

VAWA stands for the Violence Against Women Act. It was designed to protect women who were being abused or exploited by their spouses in cases where their immigrant status was a factor in their abuse. However, men who are being abused can also have positive recourse to this legislation.

How Do You Know When You Are in an Abusive Relationship?

It is usually much harder for a man to admit that they are in a relationship where they are being abused by their spouse. If you are in a relationship with a spouse who continually harasses you both verbally and physically, this is a sure sign of abuse.

Your partner may constantly seek to humiliate you. They may harass you with a series of accusations of infidelity or criminal behavior. They may try to control your access to money or how you spend that money. They may also try to manipulate you into doing things, many of which may be illegal, in order to control your immigration status.

How Can You Apply for a Confidential Visa?

One of the best things that you can do is apply for a confidential visa. This will remove the ability of an abusive spouse to keep you from obtaining a green card. You can set this up with the help of our immigration lawyer in Los Angeles residents turn to when they require assistance of this kind.

If you have been divorced from a spouse who treated you with extreme cruelty or abuse, you can apply for a confidential immigrant visa. This can eventually lead to you getting your green card.

Your petition to obtain a confidential immigrant visa will need to be filed within 2 years of your final divorce. Even if you originally entered the United States as an illegal immigrant, you may still be able to make use of this option.

What Are the Requirements to Obtain a VAWA?

There are several requirements that will have to be met in order for you to be able to get a VAWA or abused spouse immigrant visa. These include:

  • You entered into a marriage with your abusive spouse legally and in good faith
  • You lived in the same residence with the spouse that abused you
  • You suffered an intolerable level of cruelty and/or abuse while married to a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States
  • You are a person of good moral character

What Are the Benefits of Obtaining a VAWA Green Card?

The main benefit that will come with applying for a VAWA green card will be your ability to clear your path toward permanent residency in the United States. You can also obtain your work permit and deferred action without the involvement or knowledge of your abusive current or former spouse.

This means that you now have an easier path toward becoming a United States legal resident or citizen. It also means that you will be able to do so without risking your spouse calling the authorities on you in a bid to keep you completely under their full control.

What Can an Immigration Visas Lawyer Do to Help You?

The time is now for you to call our VAWA visa lawyer Los Angeles residents rely on in their time of greatest need. Our lawyer can help you gather up all of the evidence and documentation that you need to present your case to the court.

We can also help you to present your case in the strongest and most convincing manner. If you have special issues that need consideration, our lawyer will bring them to the attention of the court. The sooner you contact our LA immigrant visa lawyer.

Contact the VAWA Lawyer Los Angeles Residents Rely On

The time for you to contact our immigration law firm Los Angeles citizens rely on is now. We can help you get your green card and resolve your abuse issues. We will stand with you through every stage of this difficult and complex process. Get in touch with Alami Law today to learn more about what we can do on your behalf.