Missing Important Mail from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

If you have applied for a U-Visa or have been granted a U-Visa, then you may have wondered if you are allowed to travel outside of the United States. To be clear, it is very challenging to travel outside of the U.S. if your U-Visa is pending or

if you have been granted a U-Visa. There is potential that you can jeopardize your pending application or standing, therefore, you should only travel outside of the U.S. if it is absolutely necessary.

If you have any questions regarding immigration issues, do not hesitate to contact us to speak to an immigrant visa lawyer Los Angeles. Below you will find more information as to why traveling outside of the U.S. with a U-Visa status can potentially jeopardize your standing.

When it comes to applying for any immigration applications with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you must provide an address in which all of your important mail will be sent to. Let’s say that you filed an application in the U.S. regarding your citizenship and you are traveling while a decision is pending, there is a chance of you missing any important mailings from the USCIS.

Perhaps you may miss a scheduled appointment or deadline while you are traveling, therefore, the USCIS will automatically assume that you have neglected your application, which will then lead to them discarding your application. As a result, this can certainly jeopardize your standing, which is why you should never miss any scheduled appointments or deadlines with the USCIS.

You May Be Unable to Come Back to the U.S. Once You Leave

If your application is pending for a U-Visa, it does not make you eligible for reentry benefits. Unless you have another valid visa, such as a student visa, you will be unable to come back to the U.S. until your application has been reviewed and has been transferred to the U.S. embassy or consulate under “consular processing.” Because embassies or consulates can be extremely busy, there really is no time frame in which anyone can expect to obtain a visa and seamlessly return to the U.S. Unless there is an emergency situation that requires you to travel abroad, it is very risky.

Traveling Outside of the U.S. May Cause You to Lose Your U-Visa Eligibility

One of the main eligibility requirements for obtaining a U-Visa is providing useful information to law enforcement in assisting them to prosecute the suspects who have victimized you. It is important to know that even after you have obtained U-Visa status, you must continue assisting law enforcement and other government officials in investigating and prosecuting criminals. As a result, if you choose to travel outside of the U.S., it will then lead to the inability to assist law enforcement.

Leaving the U.S. in U-Status Will Result in Having to Obtain a Visa to Return

Once you have been approved for U-Status, this will give you permission to remain in the U.S.; however, this does not mean you have received an actual visa. A visa allows you to travel in and out of the U.S. Therefore, if you leave the U.S. and plan to come back, you will need to go to a U.S. embassy or consulate to get a visa so you can return. Keep in mind that the processing for a visa through the U.S. embassy or consulate takes time and is not an overnight operation.

Long Absences Can Make You Unqualified to Become a Permanent Resident

If you are currently in U-Status, we advise you to consult with an immigrant visa lawyer Los Angeles before making any decisions to leave the U.S., as there may be complications if you decide to apply for a green card if you have been out of the U.S. for a long period of time.

Consult with an Immigrant Visa Lawyer Los Angeles

Our team at Alami Law specializes in all immigration issues. Feel free to contact us any time to speak to an immigration lawyer Los Angeles.