Steps for Obtaining a Visa

Non Immigrant Visa Lawyer Pasadena

Individuals entering the United States as non-immigrants are often faced with complex legal situations. They must meet many standards and qualifications in order to enter the country and abide by strict laws in to remain here legally during the period of their permitted stay. These individuals are sometimes restricted in their movements and what they can or cannot do in this country. Ignorance of the law may result in penalties or even deportation. Knowing more about non-immigrant visas and their respective restrictions with the assistance of an immigration attorney, people can navigate the immigration system and stay on the right side of the American government.

Non-immigrant visas are granted for many different reasons. Each reason has a letter code and a certain number of restrictions along with them. Student visas are granted for educational purposes on the assumption that they will end once a person graduates or no longer attends school. International organizations and diplomatic groups can receive broad visas for their employees. Travel companies and individuals in airports on connecting flights can receive visas for short-term stays.

Another type of popular visa for non-immigrants is the H. These visas are for specialty occupations and allow individuals to work jobs in the United States for a particular period. Some visas are for skilled professionals that are needed in certain specialized fields. Others are for companies that have labor shortages and cannot fill positions in the United States.

More common types of visas are the B visas. B visas are for people who are traveling for business or pleasure. An individual may receive a B visa if they are going on a business trip or are an academic attending a conference. Tourists who qualify can also obtain one of these visas to visit to the United States.

All of these visas for non-immigrants have certain restrictions and criteria that have to be met. For instance, only a set number of visas for professionals are allowed every year. H visas must be renewed at regular intervals and according to preset conditions. If the United States government determines that the job of the H visa holder can just as easily be performed by an American, the visa may not be renewed and the non-immigrant visa holder may have to go home.

The same is true for B visas. An individual visiting for business or pleasure must make sure to abide by the length of stay demarcated by the visa. If they stay too long, they risk deportation and considerable barriers to entering the country again. Academic and business conferences may also be at risk. This risk comes from the terms that the conference used to obtain the visas. In these cases, both businesses and individuals must be careful to follow the law and remember the terms of their visas. Mistakes by either group can lead to a cancellation of the event and any number of participants being forced to return home.

Non-immigrant visas can be a thorny legal issue. They can be lost just as easily as they are earned. Many applicants are not familiar with the legal structures and provisions surrounding these visas. Fortunately, the attorney at Alami Law do. We can help a person apply for and obtain a non-immigrant visa. Alami Law can also help you keep the status that you have or even turn an educational visa into a specialty occupation visa after graduation to ensure that a person can obtain a good job with the degree they just earned.

The non-immigrant visa is an important tool for people visiting the United States. Anyone interested in obtaining one should not go through the process alone.

Related Blog

  • Can I Lose My Green Card and Be Deported?

    Can I Lose My Green Card and Be Deported?

    No Comments
    Are you worried about losing your green card? If so, you need to speak to the deportation lawyer Pasadena residents rely on to keep out of legal trouble. If you believe you may have committed an offense that could result in you being deported, we can help. But the time to call a qualified deportation … Continue reading "Can I Lose My Green Card and Be Deported?"Read More »
  • Permanent Workers

    Permanent Workers

    No Comments
    Each year, the U.S. government makes available 140,000 immigrant visas to individuals wanting to enter the United States based on their job skills. These visas, specified for aliens and their spouses and children, allow those who have combinations of job skills, education, and work experience the chance to obtain permanent residency in the United States. … Continue reading "Permanent Workers"Read More »
  • Who Is Eligible to Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen

    Who Is Eligible to Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen

    No Comments
    To become a citizen of any country, you have to go through procedures if you are not a citizen of that country by birth. This process of membership is known as Naturalization. Some foreigners don’t qualify to become a citizen of the United States. QUALIFICATIONS OF ATTAINING CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION One must be permitted by … Continue reading "Who Is Eligible to Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen"Read More »