Exceptions and Accommodations for Naturalization

Exceptions and Accommodations for Naturalization

For those who are in the pursuit of naturalization, it is important to know that there are exceptions and accommodations for those who qualify. Additionally, USCIS provides accommodations for those who have disabilities.

English Language Exemptions
Individuals who qualify are exempt from the English Language Requirement; however, they are still required to take the Civics Test. In order to qualify, individuals must meet the following requirements:

You must be 50 years old or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have had a

green card in the United States for 20 years. This is known as the “50/20” exception.
You must be 55 years old or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have had a green card in the United States for 15 years. This is known as the 55/15 exception.

Keep the following factors in mind:

Individuals who met the “50/20” or “55/15” exceptions must still take the civics test even though they qualify for the English language exceptions.
You will be allowed to take the civics test in your native language.
If you choose to take the civics test in your native language, then you must bring a qualified translator with you to the interview.
Your translator must be fluent in English and your native language.
If you are 65 years old or older and have had a green card in the United States for at least 20 years when you filed for naturalization, then you will be given other special modifications for the civics requirement.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding these exceptions and modifications, then it is best that you get in contact with a reputable Pasadena citizenship lawyer. At Alami Law, we are experienced attorneys who specialize in the naturalization process, along with an abundance of other immigration issues. You can trust that our team will give you the best advice and work diligently to get you the best results

Medical Disabilities Exceptions to English and Civic

Individuals who are unable to comply with the English and civics naturalization requirements due to a disability, such as a developmental disability or a mental impairment may be eligible for exemptions.

In order for one to do so, he or she must submit Form N-648, which is known as the Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions. Additionally, this form must be filled out by one of the following:

  • A licensed medical doctor
  • A licensed osteopathic doctor
  • A licensed clinical psychologist

If you have any further questions regarding medical disability exceptions, feel free to give us a call any time and we will explain everything you need to know. Our naturalization lawyer Pasadena will be able to get you the immigration help that you need and deserve.

Continuous Residence Exceptions

Individuals who are involved in specific overseas employment may be eligible for an exception for the continuous residence requirement. Our Pasadena naturalization attorney will be able to further explain the continuous residence exceptions so you fully understand it.

Contact a Qualified Pasadena Citizenship Lawyer

Applicants who have physical or mental impairments may qualify for accommodations, as their impairments can affect their ability to complete the naturalization process. Our qualified team of attorneys will be able to get you the legal help you need.

Speak to a Immigration Lawyer Pasadena

If you or a loved one has questions regarding exceptions and accommodations for the naturalization process, you should certainly seek legal help from an immigration lawyer Pasadena who specializes in these types of cases. At Alami Law, our ultimate goal is to make sure that clients efficiently and successfully get the help they need. We understand that these processes can be extremely stressful and confusing, which is why we strongly urge you to contact us.

We will do whatever it takes to make sure that you get the positive results that you need. In addition, by getting legal help from an attorney who specializes in naturalization, you will not have to be unsure about the process as we are well-versed in these cases. By contacting a lawyer, you will have a better understanding of the process, what needs to be done, and everything in between. Feel free to contact us any time to speak to a naturalization attorney.

Related Blog

  • What Happens If You Get Denied for Citizenship?

    What Happens If You Get Denied for Citizenship?

    In 2018, around 600,000 applications for citizenship were denied. If you have already obtained a green card and you are applying for citizenship in the United States, you may be concerned that you might lose your green card if your application is denied. However, in most cases, the reason for a denied application for citizenship … Continue reading "What Happens If You Get Denied for Citizenship?"Read More »
  • Why Do People Get Deported?

    Why Do People Get Deported?

    Deportation happens when the federal government removes an immigrant from the United State. It is applicable to both documented and undocumented immigrants with the basis for the removal based on the U.S. immigration law. You will get a chance to defend yourself against the deportation charges with the help of an immigration lawyer in Los … Continue reading "Why Do People Get Deported?"Read More »
  • What are the Categories of Immigrants

    What are the Categories of Immigrants

    The U.S has many more immigrants than any other state in the world. More than 40 million people living in the U.S today were born in another country. 35% of the population in Los Angeles is immigrants. These immigrants include Latinos and Chinese. The following immigrant statuses exist in the U.S: Naturalized Citizen These are … Continue reading "What are the Categories of Immigrants"Read More »