Pasadena Citizenship Lawyer
The basics of obtaining citizenship via naturalization can be a complicated process. And simply said, it is a process wherein a non-citizen voluntarily becomes a citizen of the United States. It also provides new U.S. citizens the opportunity to show their allegiance to the United States and are entitled to its protection as well as exercising their rights, such as voting in politial elections and serving on a jury.If an individual does not gain U.S. citizenship by birth or descent, that person may achieve it through naturalization, which involves meeting certain language, moral character and residency criteria by way of a specialized legal process. In order to become a naturalized citizen, all foreign nationals must be lawful permanent residents for a period of five years (three years if you are a spouse of an American citizen.) Also, during this time he or she must be present in this country a minimum of fifty percent of the time. Applicants must also be at least eighteen years old in order to apply for citizenship.
Hiring an immigration attorney with years of experience to assist and advise you on your new journey to becoming a new American citizen is very important. Since there are various requirements for American citizenship, your immigration attorney can be your best asset, an invaluable resource.
Basic CriteriaYou Need to Meet to Qualify for U.S Citizenship
this list is not exclusive
- You must be a lawful permanent resident for at least five years. If your card has expired, it must be renewed before applying for naturalization;
- You must be at least18 years or older at the time of filing;
- You must be able to read, write and speak basic English (unless you qualify for an age or disability-related exception); and
- You must be a person of good moral character, among other criteria.
- Are you ready to file for your immigrant visa? This is the path you need to take in order to eventually qualify for citizenship in the United States. However, if you have been the victim of abuse, battery, or other crimes, you may find it harder to take this step. This is why you need … Continue reading "Green Card for VAWA Self-Petitioner"Read More »
- What Happens When You Marry an Illegal Immigrant? When you decide to get married, it can be a life-changing experience. This holds especially true when you marry an illegal immigrant. You want to ensure that they can become a legal U.S. citizen so that you can live together in this great nation. Knowing how they … Continue reading "What Happens When You Marry an Illegal Immigrant?"Read More »
- There are different types of appeals handled by the Immigration Appeal Division. This includes removal, residency appeals, sponsorship appeals, as well as any order appeals regarding permanent residents, Canadian citizens and more. An immigration appeal attorney can help those who need to file an appeal. The immigration appeal process is started by filing a Notice … Continue reading "How Long Does an Immigration Appeal Take?"Read More »