Pasadena Citizenship Lawyer
The basics of obtaining citizenship via naturalization can be a complicated process. And simply said, it is a process wherein a non-citizen voluntarily becomes a citizen of the United States. It also provides new U.S. citizens the opportunity to show their allegiance to the United States and are entitled to its protection as well as exercising their rights, such as voting in politial elections and serving on a jury.If an individual does not gain U.S. citizenship by birth or descent, that person may achieve it through naturalization, which involves meeting certain language, moral character and residency criteria by way of a specialized legal process. In order to become a naturalized citizen, all foreign nationals must be lawful permanent residents for a period of five years (three years if you are a spouse of an American citizen.) Also, during this time he or she must be present in this country a minimum of fifty percent of the time. Applicants must also be at least eighteen years old in order to apply for citizenship.
Hiring an immigration attorney with years of experience to assist and advise you on your new journey to becoming a new American citizen is very important. Since there are various requirements for American citizenship, your immigration attorney can be your best asset, an invaluable resource.
Basic CriteriaYou Need to Meet to Qualify for U.S Citizenship
this list is not exclusive
- You must be a lawful permanent resident for at least five years. If your card has expired, it must be renewed before applying for naturalization;
- You must be at least18 years or older at the time of filing;
- You must be able to read, write and speak basic English (unless you qualify for an age or disability-related exception); and
- You must be a person of good moral character, among other criteria.
- The current political climate means that immigration is always a topic of discussion and people from other countries are constantly a main focus. Recently, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has become very adamant about arresting foreign nationals and taking them to detention centers. For these individuals, daily trips outside of the home can feel risky … Continue reading "What Happens After an ICE Raid?"Read More »
- As immigration continues to be a common issue in the United States, people are becoming confused and frustrated about the process. One of the biggest areas of confusion involves the differences between naturalization and citizenship. If you or someone you know wants to become a U.S. citizen, here are the key differences in both areas, … Continue reading "What’s the Difference Between Naturalization And Citizenship?"Read More »
- Eligibility Requirements for Work Visas Due to many foreign nationals wanting employment within the United States, there are many different types of work visas available in America. Whether it is for temporary or seasonal employment or a desire to obtain a permanent job, the process for obtaining these various visas can be arduous and confusing. … Continue reading "Eligibility Requirements for Work Visas"Read More »