Relatives For Whom You May Petition

Relatives For Whom You May Petition

If you are a United States citizen with family in another country, it is understandable to want them to come to the United States and spend time with you. For loved ones who plan on staying longer than a single vacation, you will need to spend a little time with a family immigration lawyer to sort out all the red tape. The process of getting a relative approved for permanent residency is called petitioning the government for a family immigration visa or Green Card, and it can be an effective way of getting a loved one into the United States. Here are some important details you need to know about petitioning for a visa for a relative:

What Types of Relatives Can You Petition For?

A very distant family relationship may not be enough to immediately get a visa for a person. The United States allows people to obtain a family immigration visa only for certain categories of relative. The types of relatives for whom you can petition include:

Significant others: If a person is a fiance or spouse, you can petition for them.
Children: You can petition for any of your children, regardless of the child's age or marital status.
Parents: You must be over 21 to petition a visa for your parents.
Siblings: You can petition for your brothers and sisters as long as you are over 21.
Children of spouses: Petitions for children of spouses are only allowed for children under the age of 21 and unmarried.
Children of fiances: If your fiance has children under the age of 21 that are unmarried, you can petition for them too.

Do All Relative Types Get the Same Visa Preference?

Keep in mind that your family based immigration lawyer will not automatically be able to get visas for some family members. The United States government always gives visas to those who are immediate relatives, which means those who are spouses of citizens, unmarried children under the age of 21 of citizens, or parents of citizens who are over the age of 21, but other types of family members may have to wait longer for a visa.

There is a set number of visas allotted for each category of family member, and visas are assigned to these preference categories based on when they filed their initial I-130 form. Here are the preference levels for different family members:

First preference: This category includes all unmarried sons and daughters who are the child of a citizen and are over the age of 21.
Second preference: Spouses of green card holders and unmarried children of permanent residents.
Third preference: People in this group are married sons or daughters of citizens.
Fourth preference: This category is for siblings of adult United States citizens.

What Is the Process of Petition Citizenship for a Relative Like?

You need to fill out quite a few different forms, so it can be helpful to have a family based immigration lawyer that can walk you through all the steps. One of the first things your immigration lawyer Pasadena will recommend that you do is file an I-130 form. This formally establishes that you have a qualifying relationship with the relative.

You may then need to wait for a visa to become available if the relative is not an immediate family member. Once the visa is available, you file an official application for permanent residence. Relatives who are not currently within the United States will have to send their petition to the National Visa Center and then process it through their consulate.

Different forms will need to be filled out depending on what type of family member you are trying to petition for. For example, a fiance would file a form I-129F, while a sibling would file a form I-485. After they are processed, you or your relative may need to submit additional evidence or go to interviews, but these steps are not always required. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will then make their decision and let you know if the person can obtain their visa.

Looking for an immigration lawyer Pasadena? At Alami Law, we have plenty of experience managing immigration cases. Call us today at 1-888-549-7357 to learn more about how our talented family immigration lawyer can help you.

Related Blog

  • Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Parents

    Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Parents

    Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Parents While Congress has enacted laws determining how a person can obtain U.S. citizenship through their parents, the process can still be complex. Generally, citizenship can be obtained at birth or after birth prior to a child’s 18th birthday. However, since the laws also contain specifics as to whether parents are … Continue reading "Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Parents"Read More »
  • Preparing for Employee Green Card Interview

    Preparing for Employee Green Card Interview

    Preparing for Employee Green Card Interview Deciding to move to another country to pursue your career is not an easy choice. As part of your decision to move, you’ll have to undergo a green card interview and get approved for one. As of 2017, this now requires an in-person interview for you and any family … Continue reading "Preparing for Employee Green Card Interview"Read More »
  • Time Frame for Sponsoring a Family Member for a Green Card

    Time Frame for Sponsoring a Family Member for a Green Card

    Are you ready to sponsor a green card application for a migrant family member? If so, you should be aware that the timeline for doing so can be very long. This is especially true during the present administration when many roadblocks are being purposely erected to slow the process. However, if you are determined to … Continue reading "Time Frame for Sponsoring a Family Member for a Green Card"Read More »