Are You Looking to Travel to the US as a Non-Immigrant? Call Us Today!

As American immigration law changes and molds with the political climate, it’s important for those wishing to enter the country to stay up-to-date on the type of visa that best suits their plans and goals.

As an immigration lawyer in Los Angeles, Alami Law is here to provide you with reliable information and updates on nonimmigrant and immigrant visas. In short, those seeking to enter the country on a temporary, short-term basis would be interested in obtaining a non-immigrant visa. You may have also heard a non-immigrant visa be called a tourist visa. To clarify, those seeking to live in the U.S. permanently should apply for an immigrant visa, which you can learn about here. A non-immigrant visa is for those looking to visit the country for an extended period, whether it’s for business or pleasure.

There are limitations that come with a non-immigrant visa; for example, someone holding a non-immigrant visa may not be allowed to work for a U.S. company or leave and re-enter the country multiple times. It’s also important to note that a non-immigrant visa is only temporary, and the length of time allotted for each person’s visa may vary. Typically, a non-immigrant visa is needed for when the visitor will be in the country for longer than 90 days. Citizens of certain countries can take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program if they are going to stay in the country for less than three months.

The most common reasons for applying for a non-immigrant visa are tourism, medical treatment, study, business travel, and temporary work placement. Since there are so many reasons for non-immigrant visas, they have been listed by the U.S. Department of State with a letter for each category. A few of the most well-known categories are B-2 (tourism), F-1 (student), J (au pair), and K-1 (fiancé of a U.S. citizen).

Studying abroad in most traditional academic programs requires an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa, since most semesters last over 90 days. This can be referred to as a student visa, which allows high school and college students to study legally for up to 60 days beyond the duration of their program. To apply for this visa, you must show your proof of foreign residence, enrollment in your relevant school or university, financial support, and ties to your home country (such as a bank account or family). Visa attorneys Los Angeles can help you understand how to meet each of these requirements.

In the U.S., travel is often divided into “business” and “pleasure.” If you’re seeking to travel to the U.S. for pleasure, such as a vacation or to visit family or friends, the B-2 visa will need to be obtained. The B-2 visa status can be achieved two ways: by applying at a U.S. Consulate in your home country, or by applying to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) once already in the country to change your current status to the B-2 visa. As a foreigner, navigating U.S. immigration law can be tricky, so you should find a US tourist visa lawyer Los Angeles to help you. Given the fragile nature of tourist visas, US tourist visa lawyer Los Angeles like Alami Law can be the deciding factor between sightseeing and deportation.

Now that you have a blanket understanding of the most common types of non-immigrant visas, you may have questions about the visa process. The journey to living in the U.S. on a temporary basis can be a bumpy one, filled with legal jargon and bureaucratic processes. As can be expected, each person’s reason for entering the U.S. and history in their home country is different, and this information is important when choosing which type of non-immigrant visa to apply for. This may not come as a surprise, but not all those who apply for non-immigrant are approved to use their visa to the full extent. It’s no secret that the non-immigrant visa process can be perplexing, especially for non-native speakers, which is why it’s important to find a reliable Los Angeles visa lawyer for non-immigrants, such as Alami Law.

Seeking legal aid can really pay off since it strengthens your application and prepares you for the potential setbacks you may face. Alami Law can help you collect the required documentation needed to apply for a non-immigrant visa as well as prepare for your interview. Contact our team to ensure that you are using your time and resources wisely before taking this big step.