Who is Eligible to File Form N-400?

If you possess a green card and decide to apply for U.S. citizenship, you will need to complete and file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. However, as with most areas associated with immigration and applying for U.S. citizenship, there are certain eligibility requirements that must be met to ensure the process is successful. However, should you decide to handle this complex process yourself and make mistakes along the way, your application process will be significantly delayed or possibly even derailed. To make sure this does not happen, consult with our naturalization lawyer Los Angeles clients trust in handling these matters.

To file N-400, you must first meet eligibility requirements for naturalization. These include being 18 years old and possessing a green card for at least five years. In cases where a person is married to a U.S. citizen, green card possession is only required for three years. However, should the application be based on qualifying military service, additional requirements may need to be met. Since this process will contain many different requirements that must be strictly adhered to for everything to go smoothly contact Alami Law. Our immigration lawyer Los Angeles clients know has a track record of success helping individuals navigate the path to citizenship.

Who is Ineligible to File Form N-400?

In most cases, once you file Form N-400 with a USCIS field office, you can expect the processing time to take at least 10 months. However, it may take more or less time, depending on the caseload at the USCIS office where you filed the application. Due to the number of applicants filing Form N-400, it is recommended you get as early a start as possible in gathering the documentation needed for the application process. To help make the application process get completed as quickly as possible, hire our Los Angeles naturalization attorney from Alami Law.

Can Form N-400 be Filed Online?

Unless you are applying for U.S. citizenship based on military service, applying for a fee reduction or waiver, or are applying from abroad, you may complete and submit Form N-400 online. To do so, you will need to visit the USCIS website and create an account. Upon doing so and completing the application online, you will also be required to type your full name at the conclusion of the application, thus signing your name electronically. For those who cannot file online, a paper application must be completed and submitted by mail. If you are unsure as to whether or not you can file online, meet with our immigration lawyer Los Angeles clients trust can answer their questions, such as Alami Law.

Can the Application be Filed Early?

Yes. Should you decide to get a head start on the application process, you may be able to file Form N-400 as much as 90 days prior to the end of your waiting period as a green card holder, whether that period is three or five years. Of course, you must have already met the other eligibility requirements prior to doing so. To determine the earliest possible date you may file Form N-400, take the date the green card was issued to you, add three or five years, then subtract 90 days. While this sounds simple enough, mistakes do still occur. If you have questions about this or other aspects of the application process consult with Alami Law. Our naturalization lawyer Los Angeles will offer expert guidance from start to finish.

What Documents are Required for Filing Form N-400?

As with most applications regarding U.S. citizenship, various documents will be needed when filing Form N-400. These include a copy of your green card and your payment by check or money order, which is $725 that is nonrefundable whether or not your application is approved or denied. In some cases, you may also need proof of your marital status and passport-size photos. Should help be needed with this, consult our Los Angeles citizenship lawyer.

Rather than do this yourself and hope you have done everything correctly, schedule a consultation today with our Los Angeles naturalization attorney from Alami Law.