What is a work visa?

Immigration laws in the United States are in a period of transition, but despite the hyperbolic rhetoric on this subject, the country still welcomes immigrant workers, and in fact needs them for its economy to thrive. Whether you are currently a resident in the country or live.

How a Lawyer Can Help You Obtain a Work Visa

outside of it, you can obtain a work visa. You must go through a process, and this is best done with the help of an employment immigration lawyer

What is a work visa?

A work visa is a document, which includes a card and stamp in your passport, that allows you to work legally in the United States. There are many types of work visas. Your eligibility for one or more of them depends on the type of work you do, whether you have a relationship with an employer, and in some cases your country of origin.

The difference between a work permit and a work visa

Before you submit an application for a work visa, you should be clear about the type of work you want to do. You should first understand the difference between a work permit and a work visa. People tend to conflate the two, but they are not the same.

An immigration work permit is a card that allows the holder to apply for a job in the United States and limits the time you can work in the country. Work permits are for those who are waiting for a green card, the result of an asylum application, or who are in the U.S. on a student visa.

To apply for a work permit, you must be eligible. An employment immigration lawyer can help you determine whether you are. They can also help you fill out the I-765 application form. The form contains questions that you may find difficult to answer. An employment attorney Pasadena can advise you as you complete the form. You must be truthful and thorough in all your answers. One misstep can lead to a rejection.

You will need to complete the form and submit it by mail to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service along with a $495 fee. There is a 90-day processing time. It is important to remember that a work permit is not a path to U.S. residency and that only in certain cases will renewals and extensions be permitted.

Types of work visas

If you are looking for a more permanent work situation in the U.S., you must apply for a work visa. The primary requirement for a work visa is a job or offer of a job in the United States. Your U.S. based employer must sponsor your application before the Citizenship and Immigration will even consider it.

Here are some of the visas you can apply for:

You can apply for this visa if you are a citizen of a country that has trade treaty with the U.S.

H-1B Visa

You must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher to apply for this visa. You must also have a job offer from a firm that employs highly-skilled workers.

L-1 Visa

You can apply for this visa if you are transferring within a company to an office in the United States. This visa is for employees of global corporations who may need to work in various countries, including the U.S.

F-1 Visa

You can apply for this visa to attend an American educational institution. However, you must have an acceptance letter in order to be eligible.

Why You Need an Employment Immigration Attorney

Applying for a U.S. work visa is not always straightforward. An employment attorney Pasadena can help you determine whether you are eligible for any of the above visas or others that may not be in this list. If you are being sponsored by a company, they will usually provide an employment attorney Pasadena to work with you as you apply.

The application forms themselves can be highly complicated and not always clear. An employment immigration attorney can help you fill out the form so that you do not make any mistakes or leave out important information.

An immigration lawyer Pasadena is especially useful when you are dealing with family matters, renewals, and extensions. If you have been sponsored by a company and want to bring your family to the U.S. with you, there will be additional paperwork to fill out. Your attorney can help you through the process.

Recent changes have been made in immigration policy that bars citizens of certain countries from entering the U.S. If you are unsure whether your country is on that list, then you should speak to an immigration lawyer Pasadena. You may also need the help, insight, and advice of a professional when you are trying to renew your visa or apply for a new one.