How To Extend Your B-1 Tourist Visa And Turn It Into A Green Card

If you have entered the United States on a B-1 tourist visa, you know it would only allow your stay to be no longer than six months. But for many people, they want to continue staying in the U.S. longer than their B-1 allows. To do so, it becomes necessary to turn the B-1 tourist visa into a green card. While you could risk attempting to get granted an extension, these are dispersed sparingly and may leave you facing a return to your native country. Rather than take this approach, there are options that are much safer and increase the chances of obtaining a green card. Should you desire to enter into this process, always consult with our family immigration lawyer from Alami Law.

Filing Form I-539
To extend your B-1 visa, you will need to file Form I-539 with the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service, along with the various types of supporting documentation. By doing so, this will either extend or change your immigration status. Since this process will involve deadlines and paperwork that must contain no errors, always work with a family immigration visa lawyer who understands this complex process, such as one at Alami Law.

Special or Unique Abilities
To have the best chance of getting your change in status approved, you must be able to document any special or unique abilities you possess. Common examples include special abilities in athletics, education, science, art, or business.

Additional Options
If you do not possess extraordinary abilities in any of these fields, it is still possible to turn a B-1 tourist visa into a green card. To do so, you and your family based immigration lawyer from Alami Law will need to demonstrate you meet certain criteria in other areas, such as:

  • –Participation as a Judge
  • –Assumption of leadership role in well-known organization
  • –Publication within major media of story documenting your unique abilities

When pursuing these options, never go at it alone. Instead, consult with a trusted family immigration lawyer from Alami Law.

For many people who are in the U.S. on a B-1 tourist visa, the easiest route to obtaining a green card is by getting married to a U.S. citizen. Costing very little and having a much easier application process, it remains the most popular option. Yet before doing so, schedule a consultation with our immigration lawyer Pasadena residents trust in these matters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *