Green Cards For Your Family

Many people who move to America wonder whether they can get a family immigration visa. Some believe that once you get your green card, you will be able to get one for the entire family. However, this is a myth. It is a lot harder to get a green card for the entire family than you may think, which is why you should get assistance from a family immigration lawyer.

Who Can You Help Get Their Green Card?
You can only petition to bring your relatives from another country if you are a permanent resident or an United States citizen. If you are an American citizen who is over the age of 21, then you can petition to bring your parents. You can bring your spouse if you are an American citizen who is over the age of 18. You can also bring your minor and unmarried children.

Any United States citizen can bring their married or adult children. United States citizens who are over the age of 21 can bring their brothers and sisters. Every permanent resident can bring their unmarried children and spouse.

How Long do They Have to Wait?
Immediate family members can immediately get their green cards. They will be required to wait for their application to be processed, which can take months. However, preference relatives may be required to wait several years before they can get a visa or green card.

It is also important to note that America only gives out a certain number of preference visas per year. If you have a preference relative from China, the Phillippines, Mexico or India, then they may end up waiting longer than people from other countries.

Starting the Application Process
You will need to visa petition to get the process started. If you have any issues, then you can contact a family based immigration lawyer. An immigration lawyer Pasadena can help the application process go more smoothly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *