FAQs for U Visas


Being the victim of a crime while in a foreign country can cause a lot of physical, mental and emotional trauma. In fact, some people leave their home country to get away from crime.

Unfortunately, not every immigrant comes from a good area. What’s worse is that their time in the country is limited. But that doesn’t necessarily mean there’s not a light at the end of the tunnel. That’s where a U Visa comes in.

Here’s everything you need to know about U Visas and how a visa attorney for victims of crimes in Pasadena can help.

What is a U Visa?
Any immigrant who suffers from a crime in the United States is eligible to acquire a U Visa. Basically, a U Visa is a type of visa for immigrants who help the authorities with an investigation of the crime that was committed against them. In order to acquire this visa, you’re going to need an immigration visa lawyer Pasadena.

What Are The Requirements?
Not every immigrant who has suffered from a crime is eligible to apply for a U Visa. The crime must meet the criteria. For example, an immigrant is eligible for a U Visa if they have been the victim of stalking, sexual assault and domestic abuse. Then, you must provide proof that you’ve worked with the authorities during the investigation and have suffered physical, mental and emotional trauma.

How Long is it Valid?
Once approved, a U visa is good for four years. After three years of residency, you are then allowed to apply for permanence residence. If you meet all of the requirements, you will then be issued a green card.

How to Prepare
The first step in applying for a U visa is determining eligibility. Once eligibility is confirmed, you need to complete a USCIS I-918, which is a petition for U Nonimmigrant Status. A qualifying agency will need to certify this document. In addition, you will need to have evidence to back up your claim. A U visa attorney Pasadena can help compile both the evidence and documentation you need prior to submission.

If you have family members who also want to work in the USA, they must complete Form I-765 and apply for a work permit. Submit all supporting documents with the permit to USCIS. You then be given an interview at the USCIS office or consulate.

If you’re looking for immigration attorneys Pasadena, look no further. We have the experience and expertise to help you obtain a U visa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *