Everything You Need to Know About Family Based Immigration

If you’re interested in permanently living in the United States, you may have heard of a green card and how it gives you the opportunity to stay in this country. A green card gives you permanent resident status which makes it possible for you to continuously live and work in the United States. Many people seek this status, but may not be aware of how to legally obtain it. One way is to be sponsored by a relative that is currently a citizen or permanent resident. The process is complex, but a family immigration lawyer in Pasadena can explain all of the parts that you need to know before initiating the application. Before you apply for permanent resident status, you should know the basic criteria. These requirements must be satisfied in order for the family immigration visa application to be processed.

Sponsor’s Eligibility:
If you have a relative who wishes to sponsor you to be able to come to the United States as a permanent resident, they must fulfill the following criteria:

  • Be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident with proof of documentation
  • Prove that they can provide support of at least 125% above the poverty line

A US citizen can sponsor the following with proof of relationship:

  • Husband or wife
  • Unmarried child under and over 21 years of age
  • Married child of any age
  • Parent, if the sponsor is over 21 years of age

A permanent resident can sponsor the following, with proof of relationship:

  • Husband or wife – Unmarried child of any age

Prospective Permanent Resident
In relation to the list above, you must demonstrate that you are one of the relatives that can be sponsored, depending on your sponsor’s immigrant status, to be eligible to apply. You must also show that they can support you at least 125% above the poverty line.

There is a list of factors that can make you ineligible to apply for a green card. These include:

  • Having a transmissible disease
  • Suffering from a dangerous mental or physical disorder
  • Abusing drugs
  • Having committed a serious criminal act
  • Being affiliated with a terrorist organization or a previous war criminal
  • Having entered the US illegally
  • Being ineligible for US citizenship

If you’re looking for an immigration lawyer Pasadena, contact Alami Law for help. A family based immigration lawyer can help you with all of the steps when applying for a green card and will make sure that your application is complete. Call our office for a consultation to have all of your questions answered.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *