Changing Your Non-Immigrant Status

For some people who visit the U.S. on a temporary visa and want to change their original status as a non-immigrant, it is vital they follow the steps involved in the process exactly as they are laid out. Otherwise, problems could ensue. To make sure problems do not develop, rely on the services of an immigration lawyer Pasadena clients trust with such matters, which is Alami Law.

Do Not Procrastinate
Once you decide you want your status changed, do not procrastinate. Along with this, do not decide to go ahead and make changes to your status prior to getting the proper authorization from USCIS. For example, if you are classified as a tourist visiting the U.S. but then decide you want to become a student, do not go ahead and begin attending school before you have USCIS approval. If you do so, you may not be allowed to return to the U.S. for a period of time, or may in fact be deported. Rather than let this happen, schedule a meeting with Alami Law, visa attorneys Pasadena clients trust to have the expertise needed in these situations.

Approval to Change Your Status
To apply for a change of status, you can do so if you were originally allowed into the U.S. with a non-immigrant visa, your status is still valid, no conditions of your status have been violated, and you have committed no crimes that would eliminate your potential eligibility for a status change. If any of these areas are in question, contact an immigration visa lawyer immediately.

No Need to Apply for a Change
In some circumstances, you may not need to change your status as a non-immigrant. These include if you were admitted to the U.S. on a B-1 visa for business reasons, and if in doing so you want to remain in the U.S. for non-business purposes before your visa expires. Also, you will not need to apply for a change if you want to enroll in a U.S. school and are married or a child of a person who was legally allowed into the U.S. via certain categories, such as diplomatic officials, exchange visitors, or representatives of international organizations.

Due to the complexities involved in changing a status classified as non-immigrant, don’t leave anything to chance. Instead, discuss your situation in greater detail by scheduling a consultation with a non immigrant visa lawyer at Alami Law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *