Can a U Visa Lead to a Green Card?

Can a U Visa Lead to a Green Card?
Immigrants can be victims of serious crimes and intimidation. According to our immigrant visa lawyer Pasadena, the federal government realized that it had some significant problems in obtaining the testimony of non-immigrant victims against the people who committed crimes against them. When it became time for trial, crime victims had often returned to their native countries for the safety of themselves and their families. With no complaining witnesses, prosecutors had to dismiss serious criminal cases, which is why the U visa was created. An immigration visas attorney from our law firm can apply for a U visa on your behalf.

What the U Visa Does
Now, the U visa allows a non-immigrant crime victim to legally remain in the United States for up to four years. Upon appropriate motion, a judge can even extend that time limit in certain cases. If a U visa recipient retains that immigration status for three years, he or she is eligible to apply for permanent residency in the United States. The person who holds the U visa is even authorized to work in this country. Their family members can be authorized to work too.

Who Can Qualify for a U Visa?
A person who is seeking a U visa must first show that he or she was the victim of a major crime and suffered severe physical or emotional injuries or abuse as a result of it. After that, a certificate of helpfulness must be obtained from the appropriate government agency. Then, the person seeking the visa must be able to show that he or she has key information in connection with the crime what would be considered helpful by police and prosecutors in bringing the perpetrator of the crime to justice.

Factors in Obtaining a Certificate of Helpfulness
The U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) is going to need proof of serious physical or mental injuries or abuse. An immigration lawyer Pasadena from Alami Law can be helpful in obtaining the necessary proof. After that, the USCIS will consider the length of time that the victim suffered. Finally, it will consider the potential of permanent damage to the crime victim.
If you live in or around Los Angeles, and you believe that you or a family member might qualify for a U visa, contact a u visa attorney Pasadena here at Alami Law. Our mission is to help you legally remain in the United States.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *