Get Immigration Help Today

Immigration Lawyer Pasadena

The Law office of Amira Al-Alami serves clients in all immigration matters, including cases involving green cards, citizenship, deportation, tourism, work/business visas and victims of violence. Our staff understands that our work has enormous impact on the lives of immigrants and their families, and we are dedicated to providing individual attention and counsel to each client. We work very closely with our clients, maintaining constant communication as we work toward a positive result.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Green Card for parents

A. Only US citizens can sponsor their parents for greencards. As Carl stated, they can visit you with tourist visas. You can apply for your naturalization 4 years and 9 months after becoming a lawful permanent resident.

Q. Is speaking English a requirement for US citizenship?

A. Some applicants don't have to satisfy the English requirement; that is, they are exempt from showing they can read, speak, and write English. You don't have to take the English test if you are: 50 years old or older and you've lived in the U.S. as a permanent resident for at least 20 years.

Q. How do you stop deportation?

A. You must meet certain requirements:
1. you must have been physically present in the U.S. for 10 years;
2. you must have good moral character during that time.
3. you must show "exceptional and extremely unusual" hardship to your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent or child if you were to be deported.

Q. How long does it take to get a U visa?

A. If you apply for a U visa today, you can expect to wait at least nine months for USCIS to determine whether you are eligible for the U visa. To check average processing times for U visas and other applications, click here, but remember that individual processing times may vary significantly from case to case.

Q. Can you get a work permit while waiting for a green card?

A. People whose adjustment of status applications are pending can travel abroad and work legally in the United States. To work in the United States while their applications for green cards are pending, they need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and get work permits.

Meet Our Staff




  • “Dear Amira: I wanted to thank you for representing me in obtaining my permanent residence in the United States! As you know, it has been a very long journey for me”…

  • “Dear Amira: I want to truly thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you did for my wife and our entire family. We are living a different life now”.

  • “The day that DOMA was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court clearing the way for federal same-sex benefits (which includes the ability to be sponsored for lawful permanent residency), my husband and I started”…

  • “Dear Amira, I just want to thank you for such a good job that you did on my case. I know that it was not an easy one because both of my parents had passed away”.


Awards and Organizations